Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Rain and the Tree


By the side of an ordinary pathway,
Stands a great Banyan tree.
An ordinary one.
Silent, peaceful,
Has he been standing there,
For last 500 years!
Being a spectator,
Of the changing world,
With scars in heart,
And smile on face!

Among all the commotion,
Of the market place
By the pathway,
Among all hues and cries,
Shrills and shouts,
Stands he with peace of mind,
For he is deep into
The Penance Long!

The Rain
Ever enchanted with
The Banyan tree -
For years, across many births!
Every season in her full youth,
During the time of monsoons,
Would come with all ardor,
With passion filled bosom,
To take the Banyan tree with her,
To that uncharted land,
The land of fairies and angels!
She wanted to hold
The hand of the Banyan Tree
And be cocooned in his embrace,
For this life, and all the rest!
Protected from world around,
Supported and cuddled,
With his strong presence.

But fell short the rain,
Could not move she the Tree,
All efforts in vain!

Same did she do,
Every year,
With every new birth,
With love renewed all over.
But could not move she the
Great Banyan Tree!

500 long years did pass!
And the rain could not give up,
Her innocent lust,
Her arduous love,
All for him - The meaning of her existence!
For she loved him,
More than her life!

It was the 501st year,
The rain did come again -
Same were her ways,
As 500 times in the past!

But this time was different.
She was curious, she was perturbed
What is this Tree made of?
She asked herself!

There were so many
She had swayed
In her seductive power!
Many in one birth!
But what was this
So very special
In this Great Banyan Tree!
That in so many births,
Could not she move?
Even an inch!

Decided to confront the Tree,
She came to him in all her mellowness.
Drenched him with warmth and care,
With all her love,
She held him tight in her arms,
She did ask straight to his heart -
What is that for which you are alive!

The Great Banyan tree,
Turned his eyes,
Looked deep into hers,
Opened his mouth and spoke
For the first time!
I love you and your ways!
Always had I wanted,
Be with you forever,
Together we stay in the
Land of fairies and angels,
Happily ever after!

But my life is not for me.
I am not a creeper, a vine.
For opportunity bigger have I -
Being the Great Banyan tree!

The essence of my existence,
The relevance of my life,
Is more than what I love for myself!
It is more than my love for you!

My life is an unending toil,
Creating the vital ingredients of life,
The enlivening air to breath,
Taking away the poison from the world!
I am destined to Transmute,
All the pain into peace,
All the tears, into laughter!
I create beauty,
I create life!

I am not even a single identity -
Continued the Great Banyan Tree,
For I am many in one,
My branches are all distinct,
With individual leaves -
All purposefully engaged,
Working with Sun, creating life
With air and water,
Nourishing the world around!
I am a macrocosm,
A unity of so many
Individual Meanings,
Individual Purpose,
Individual Perspective!
Giving a holistic Purpose -
The purpose of Being
The Great Banyan Tree!

My love, my rain -
Do you want me to break away?
And curse this Grace?
I know I am in pain.
For I too like being with you,
As did that creeping vine!
But I don’t want to perish,
Being an insignificant filth,
Given into my urge!
For I am the Great Banyan Tree!

Hurt and Angry, did Rain retorted –
Your pride will fall – you insignificant tree!
You too will end up being the dry wood
To be burnt for fuel.
Where will all your meaning,
All your pride go then?

Tranquil and still,
With a smile did the Tree reply –
It is not the pride of my identity Rain.
It is the pride of what I create.
My creations are immortal.
I might turn into a fragile log,
But what I have created these many years,
Will be immortal!
The cool solace of my shade,
The fresh rejuvenating air I spread,
The firmness I provide to the soil,
Those lovely mythic songs of women,
Singing rituals going around me!
Those decorations of vermilion,
Flags and chants all around me!
That veneration of sanctity I carry around!
All these are immortal!

I will perish my love.
So shall you!
But what will always remain,
Immortal for ever – What you and I create!

The Rain calmed, and brimmed in tears.
Realized for the first time she –
Life is more than sheer me and mine!
Its much more than our urges and emotions!
Life is about a meaning - a purpose - a context!

______________________________________________
Copy Right © All rights reserved - Samrat Kar

1 comment:

  1. i am reading the poem in my room at home. Its raining outside in Chennai. A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease.Beautiful poem Samrat !!!!!

    ReplyDelete