Thursday, August 5, 2010

Call for a personal Freedom this 15th




The nation was freed 63 years ago.
Good! It has prospered well,
Young and powerful it is running its race!

But am I free in real sense?
Am I not imprisoned
With the biases of narrow mind?
With the age old superstitions,
Have I not lost the way?
Being too much involved in
Rites and rituals,
Has not God really lost 
Its real meaning?
Is not that the basis of our being spiritual
Is deep seated in fear of heavenly wrath,
Or an obnoxious lust for that invisible cosmic power?

Is not the way I work,
Is just another imprisonment
Of necessities that I am forced to do
To earn a living?

Is not my love 
Captivated with the 
Un-breakable and cold iron shackles
Of social norms?

Is not the way I live,
Is a compulsive disorder,
Being programmed blindly
To be always in search of pleasure?

Am I not chained to the 
The endless race of materialism?
And then am I not constrained
With ideologies to explain my inconsistencies?

Is not life hijacked by 
The waxing and waning of hormones,
And genetic urges?

Are not my thoughts
Limited to the distance
My social conditioning can take me?
Are not my dreams
Dampened with the forces
Of what others judge me of?

Am I not captivated still,
With that urge to be loved back,
Once I love someone?
Is not every act of kindness
Has just reduced to 
A give and take transaction?

Are not my thoughts of 
Compassion and care,
Limited to just a few around me?
Have not human conscience surrendered 
Itself to the myopic concerns?

Has not even Business Management
Lost its freedom as a "liberal art",
To a way to just churn out money?

Has not the gap between
The Ivory Tower of academia
And the grass-root real world
Widened like never before?

Has not the pen has really
Given up to the sword?

Have we not relinquished 
The freedom to carve out
A meaning for our life?
Volunteering for 
Square boring ways?
Have we not really lost the 
Freedom to take risk,
And make a dent in the universe?

Are not our opinions,
Shallow and ill-informed?
Have we not always 
preferred to read the Twilight series,
Instead of a thought provoking article
In the Nature magazine?

Lost have we our freedom
Of being a human!
Lost have we our take 
On the deciding how humanity evolves!

Yet again, here is a call
For a freedom anew.
A freedom of self!
Wake up!
Give up the small
For the Infinite!
______________________________________________

Copy Right © All rights reserved - Samrat Kar

No comments:

Post a Comment